More often than not both bloopers and staysails seemed to add a quarter knot
going up and a quarter knot coming down.

One of the best uses of a blooper I experienced early on was during the windy
1977 Transpac. The C&C 39 I was on still had the original short, low aspect
ratio rudder and small diameter steering wheel.
In typical trade wind conditions, sailing as close to DDW as possible, the
blooper helped balance the sail plan pulling the bow back down when the boat
was thinking of taking a hard swing to weather.

Those short C&C 39 rudders embarrassed more that a few helmsmen.  Here in the
PNW, back in the late 70’s there was  4 or 5 C&C 39’s actively racing and
competitive.  A local sailmaker and rockstar helmsman named Scott Rohrer (an
acquaintance of mine still) was at the helm of a 39 a few boat lengths behind
us. We all had spinnakers up but the conditions were deteriorating. As the 39
Scott was driving began performing the death roll, we could hear Scott yelling
“I got it, I got it..” just before his boat spun hard to weather in a full
broach.

For a long time we called Scott “Rodeo Rohrer” as in “going to the rodeo for a
roundup”.  PNW C&C 39s with the short rudder got a reputation as “broach
coaches” until they received the rudder upgrade.

Martin DeYoung
Calypso
1971 C&C 43
Port Ludlow/Seattle