Dennis,

You are close with the boat you own.  Found the 35 mk1 hard to beat.  My boat 35 Mk2 (47 years old) does sail close to her PHRF rating.  Unless we really screw up tactically, (going to wrong side of the course, etc) she finishes in the the top 5-10% of the class. Family sailed boat (41 years), out of water every year (New England), bottom redone every spring, faired and spray painted, sails are OK for PHRF (just bought new number 1 Genoa replacing the 2002 North).  You have to sail her on her design lines and keep her pointing.  She is old, so you have to keep up with her maintenance.

Don Kern
Fireball, C&C35 Mk2
Bristol, RI