Hi John,

I resealed the chainplates on my 30 MK I about five years ago with advice from
Dennis Cheuvront here on the list.  I removed the chainplates (there’s only one
per side on a 30 MK I) and dug out maybe a half-inch of wet / rotted balsa core
around the cutouts between the fiberglass layers.  Then I put the plates back
in with a releasing agent on them (Carmex, it turned out), and filled all gaps
with thickened epoxy, injecting it through the cover screw holes etc.  First
I'd packed Play-Doh between the inner fiberglass layer and cabin ceiling liner
to prevent epoxy from dripping and oozing.  Finally I put the covers back on
sealed with LifeSeal.  Some pictures of the project at
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B-NqAxQ6JxFTcTV6UlEwMmlqZkk?resourcekey=0-17H-NdO9zgBNAfBVLXuK2A&usp=sharing

<https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B-NqAxQ6JxFTcTV6UlEwMmlqZkk?resourcekey=0-17H-NdO9zgBNAfBVLXuK2A&usp=sharing>.
  Overall I think it was an improvement, a necessary catch-up on some deferred
maintenance, but unfortunately I think I still get a bit of leakage down the
chainplates.  At least now I hope it’s not wetting the balsa core.

Cheers,
Randy Stafford
S/V Grenadine
C&C 30 MK I #79