Hi Jeff,

Regarding epoxy, I can still get my chainplates out.  That’s why I put a
releasing agent on them.  Once the epoxy hardened, I took them back out, and
now the cutouts are a better fit around the chainplates.  But you have a point
about movement.  Next time I get in there, I’ll have to inspect for effects of
that.

Regarding knees, I remember a story on this list I think, within the last few
years, about a Redwing that had to be totaled due to complete destruction of
one of its knees.  When I did my resealing job and unbolted the chainplates
from the knees, I’m pretty sure I concluded the knees on my boat are solid
fiberglass.  I didn’t see any wood core in the bolt holes, and there’s pretty
heavy matting/roving visible on the surface of the knees.  That would be in
keeping with the rest of the hull construction on the early 30 MK I boats -
solid glass hull, built like tanks.  I also inspected the metal chainplates as
best I could with a strong magnifying glass, and didn’t see any signs of
hairline cracking etc.

Cheers,
Randy