I second the sealing with butyl. Do NOT use silicone or 4200. The epoxy idea
may be ok, but messy and no going back. "Beefing up" the plates wont do any
harm but isn't necessary. These plates effectively protect the sealant. That's
it. Check the balsa core around the penetration. Depending on extent of decay,
determine how this will be remedied -- from digging out a small amount balsa
and fill with butyl to cutting out glass from above or below to repair and
anything in between. Overfill with butyl fron above and below, then gradually
tighten the cover plates to compress butyl and force it into all voids.
Carefully trim all excess butyl that oozes out from under the plates and
remove. Check frequently for leaks and gradual oozing of butyl.

The chain plates move in and out, perpendicular to the deck under load, unload.
The sealing material must be able to move also. Epoxy will not move. Silicone
will for a while, but it's difficult stuff to remove later if it fails. Same
with 4200 but even worse.  Butyl is the solution.

Also, I encourage you to carefully inspect the knee connection where chain
plate bolts to hull. Remove bolts and poke around with dental tools. Make sure
plywood is intact and not rotting. Inspect in the bottom of the space below
knee, poking and tapping everything, checking for hollow sounds and decay. If
there have been leaks at the deck, water runs down chain plate and into all the
plywood knee structure and can damage it. So, there is more to preventing water
at the deck core. Much more.

I am sure others on the list have stories to tell. A lister has an 81 C&C36
that is in for a major major repair (thousands $$) of the knees due to a leak.
The rig nearly came down while racing. I was crew. Scary.  So I immediately
checked my C&C34. Leaking but very little decay. Dry as bone after butyl and 4
months -- haven't been to boat since about November, but under winter cover.

Jeff Laman
81 C&C34
Harmony
Ludington Mich