While I awaited another day for a marine mechanic to get around to addressing my engine problem, while on the boat today, I thought of something.    I had a new Yanmar air filter on the boat which I got last year, which I thought what harm could a new air filter do....changed out the old one and replaced with new one, and guess what, in neutral, the engine revived up to 3,400 before i stopped....ran the engine in forward gear at the slip for another 20 minutes.... shut the engine off...started again...revved up and down....engine works as it should.

The problem was a lack of air....explains where the smoke was coming from....incomplete combustion...now, with the new air filter, no smoke.

Thanks to everyone for thoughts/possibilities of what might be the cause of my engine issue.

Going for a sail tomorrow.

Rob Abbott
AZURA
C&C 32 - #277