If you charge a lithium battery directly, there are a couple of issues even if
the regulator has lithium settings:

1.      Lithium batteries charge so well they look like a dead short, so
burning up alternators and belts is a real issue.
2.      If the BMS decides to cut the battery off from charging, it will wreck
your alternator.

The DC-DC charger takes care of lithium-specific charging, limits the total
draw on the alternator, and if the BMS kicks off the alternator is still hooked
to the start battery.

Re 24 volts: You can buy 24 volt batteries or sometimes buy 2 12 volt
batteries. Not all batteries can be put in series and not all can be put in
parallel, you need to read the descriptions.

Joe Della Barba

Coquina C&C 35 MK I

Kent Island MD USA