Does your rig already have fore and aft lowers? If you do a baby stay may not
add that much extra support.

When I re-rigged Calypso I used Briton Toss’s rigging book to calculate the
loads on various shrouds and rigging elements.  IIRC the aft lower shrouds can
carry more load than most other elements.

One of Calypso’s past owners removed the aft lowers (to allow the boom to
travel farther forward) making the baby stay much more important for rig
stability. This is especially true when sailing in choppy seas to prevent mast
pumping.
(Some boat racing long downwind races, Transpac for example, rig temporary
forward lowers to support the mast in case the pole gets stuffed into a wave.)

Calypso’s mast section is massive compared to more modern rigs. I have always
assumed Bruckmann’s had a C&C 61 section hanging around the shop, cut it down,
added some taper towards the top and called it good.

Calypso’s baby stay uses a hydraulic tensioner with a fast-pin to release it
for spinnaker gybes. The deck fitting is similar to a chain plate. Originally
it terminated to the bulkhead just below. (A C&C 39 I raced several Transpacs
on with it’s baby stay anchored to the same bulkhead we could lock someone in
the head by pumping up the baby stay and distorting the deck/bulkhead.)

Today Calypso’s baby stay is anchored to the hull with a tie rod/turnbuckle
combo through bolted to the hull. When we recently rebuilt the bulkhead owing
to rot issues we found indications of stress damage from the original baby
installation.

Martin DeYoung
Calypso
1971 C&C 43