From: Novabraid via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
To: 'Stus-List' <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Cc: csgilchr...@comcast.net
Sent: Sun, Mar 12, 2023 1:51 pm
Subject: Stus-List Re: Chandleries

<!--#yiv6699168893 filtered {}#yiv6699168893 filtered {}#yiv6699168893
p.yiv6699168893MsoNormal, #yiv6699168893 li.yiv6699168893MsoNormal,
#yiv6699168893 div.yiv6699168893MsoNormal
{margin:0in;font-size:11.0pt;font-family:"Calibri", sans-serif;}#yiv6699168893
a:link, #yiv6699168893 span.yiv6699168893MsoHyperlink
{color:blue;text-decoration:underline;}#yiv6699168893
span.yiv6699168893EmailStyle19 {font-family:"Calibri",
sans-serif;color:windowtext;}#yiv6699168893 .yiv6699168893MsoChpDefault
{font-family:"Calibri", sans-serif;}#yiv6699168893 filtered {}#yiv6699168893
div.yiv6699168893WordSection1 {}-->Having been a supplier to many marine
chandleries over the past 20+ years while working for Edson and now Novabraid,
there’s definitely been some decline in quality retail access in the past 24
months.  Surprisingly many of these issues came in the wake of a huge surge in
retail boat and accessory sales during and just after the height of the
pandemic and may boat supply businesses had record sales during this period,
despite some of the supply chain challenges that occurred.   Perhaps those
business owners are taking their profits to the bank and streamlining their
sales channels to avoid bankruptcy if a recession occurs.   Obviously, prices
are rising as a function of inflation and transportation costs and many retail
business struggle to find qualified employees.  West Marine was renowned for
hiring retirees who would work part time to get the employee discount but I
think most of those folks have weighed anchor and retired for good.  My nephew
has been an assistant manager at a West Marine for several years and they’ve
been forced to scale back to a 5 day work week as they only had two employees
for the entire store, a manager and an assistant.Defender, unfortunately is
going through a rather difficult transition under new ownership and most of my
sailing friends are struggling with their new website.  They’re currently
remodeling the retail outlet, downsizing display areas and relying far more on
their phone customer service team to help with product applications rather than
their in store counter help.  I’ve been told it will be up to speed in a few
weeks, but this is the start of boat prep season in New England and the
Northeast so they could not have picked a worse time to shut down the retail
store.One outlet that folks haven’t mentioned is Hamilton Marine up in Maine.
They’ve got a pretty comprehensive product selection and pricing is typically a
bit less than you’ll find at West Marine.  5 store locations as well.  Not a
super discount place, but their staff is pretty seasoned without much turnover.
 You probably won’t find the latest and greatest new Harken carbon fiber maxi
yacht winches there, but for hardware, bottom paint, and mooring chain, they do
just fine.And there’s always the local “head of the harbor” marine store at the
hometown boatyard.  Yes, you’ll pay more for that bottom paint, but giving them
some business on the retail side means they’re more likely to have the water
pump impeller you need when your boat starts overheating the day before you
leave on your summer cruise.Have a great season, y’all,Chuck GilchrestS/V Half
Magic1983 Landfall 35Padanaram, MA
Thanks for your help.
Stu