Having been a supplier to many marine chandleries over the past 20+ years while
working for Edson and now Novabraid, there’s definitely been some decline in
quality retail access in the past 24 months.  Surprisingly many of these issues
came in the wake of a huge surge in retail boat and accessory sales during and
just after the height of the pandemic and may boat supply businesses had record
sales during this period, despite some of the supply chain challenges that
occurred.   Perhaps those business owners are taking their profits to the bank
and streamlining their sales channels to avoid bankruptcy if a recession
occurs.   Obviously, prices are rising as a function of inflation and
transportation costs and many retail business struggle to find qualified
employees.  West Marine was renowned for hiring retirees who would work part
time to get the employee discount but I think most of those folks have weighed
anchor and retired for good.  My nephew has been an assistant manager at a West
Marine for several years and they’ve been forced to scale back to a 5 day work
week as they only had two employees for the entire store, a manager and an
assistant.

Defender, unfortunately is going through a rather difficult transition under
new ownership and most of my sailing friends are struggling with their new
website.  They’re currently remodeling the retail outlet, downsizing display
areas and relying far more on their phone customer service team to help with
product applications rather than their in store counter help.  I’ve been told
it will be up to speed in a few weeks, but this is the start of boat prep
season in New England and the Northeast so they could not have picked a worse
time to shut down the retail store.

One outlet that folks haven’t mentioned is Hamilton Marine up in Maine.
They’ve got a pretty comprehensive product selection and pricing is typically a
bit less than you’ll find at West Marine.  5 store locations as well.  Not a
super discount place, but their staff is pretty seasoned without much turnover.
 You probably won’t find the latest and greatest new Harken carbon fiber maxi
yacht winches there, but for hardware, bottom paint, and mooring chain, they do
just fine.

And there’s always the local “head of the harbor” marine store at the hometown
boatyard.  Yes, you’ll pay more for that bottom paint, but giving them some
business on the retail side means they’re more likely to have the water pump
impeller you need when your boat starts overheating the day before you leave on
your summer cruise.

Have a great season, y’all,

Chuck Gilchrest

S/V Half Magic