Shawn - Fwiw - I’ll chime in having spent many years going through this, and
having gotten comfortable with the various trade offs and just closed the
purchase of my next boat (alubat OVNI 435….) I’ve accepted that Driving the
OVNI will be more G-Wagen than Lotus…
IMO Any c&c is pretty moderate in design (vs a pogo or Colin archer) and is
performance-biased so it’ll probably ‘sail well’, broadly speaking.
The rest comes down to how you’ll REALLY be using the boat.  How much time to
windward, how often consecutive overnight sails, how much loafing in the comfy
cockpit (go Hunter!) etc.  I hadn’t fully thought it through when boat
shopping, and I got very lucky choosing windstar (c&C 33-2) in a lot of ways.
she can be single handed easily, and she goes to windward really well in all
conditions, and I’m comfortable sailing in any conditions I’ve encountered
here.   I didn’t fully appreciate that for ‘out and back’ sailing, I’d be
spending most of my time on the wind, (and loving it) and I wasn’t thinking
much about singlehanding.      Her cockpit is …. Tolerable … for entertaining
and while she ‘sleeps several’ she couldn’t keep them hydrated for long.  She
has a big tall rig and here in Lake Ontario, that’s great.     All this is
relevant, all good for how and where the boat is used.    She’s a great boat
and I’ll miss the performance for sure.
Otoh My dad advised that when he cruised his steel cutter he rarely sailed to
windward, only steered when entering harbour or daysailing, and reefed his
stout, conservative rig at sunset. He really valued the pilot berth, and hated
not having ice.   He also appreciated the ability to reduce sail and remain
balanced, and the way she hove to.    He told me a 150nm day was decent and
that he was never too concerned about it.   Not a lot said about light air
performance, ever,  but the boat was a moderate, modern (then) brewer design
and no slug - it was a fun, respectable Wednesday night sailor- for what it
was.

In my recent search, in noticed a few things not often discussed:
The relationship between cockpit sole height, boom height, dodger height and
aft accommodation.  Many newer boats have super tall dodgers, (rarely evident
in brochure photos)  shallow cockpits with no appreciable lockers, and
condo-like master bedrooms.  This is really evident in boats under say 45’.
The ability to mount solar panels, stow a dinghy, and the ease of boarding are
also things worth thinking about.   (People treasure Amels for many good
reasons, but….. )   In reeeally old boats, where does the propane tank go?  Can
you reach the Genoa sheets from the helm?  Can you stretch out on the cockpit
seats?
Fun stuff.

Dave

Sent from my iPhone