Aging and leaking aluminum fuel tanks is an excellent topic!  Boats, even fresh
water, that are 40 or more years old are very likely to experience aluminum
fuel tank leaks.  In my case, the leak started over winter and about 7 gallons
of fuel went out my garboard drain onto the ground.  Really bad.  Marina
solution was to plug my drain, so diesel fuel started accumulating in the
bilge.  I lived hundreds of miles from boat so a difficult situation.  I
alerted marina that my bilge pump would soon start spewing diesel fuel out the
side if they didn't drain my tank.  Long story short, don't let this disaster
happen to you.

I ordered a Moeller plastic tank through West Marine, the lowest price by far
at the time.  The old aluminum tank was 20 gallons and had no visible holes.
The new Moeller, off the shelf tank is 19 gallons and almost exactly the same
dimensions.  Slid the old aluminum tank out, slid the new tank in, replaced all
fuel hoses, including fill hose, and no problems.

There are some, I believe, unsubstantiated concerns about plastic fuel tanks.
In my opinion, plastic is superior -- doesn't corrode and the fuel level is
visible through the wall of the tank.  Many boats, mine among them, have a
problematic fuel gage.  Tried to fix when replacing tank, but decided it wasn't
worth more time.  Just look at the tank.  Foolproof.

Jeff Laman
81 C&C34 Harmony
Ludington, MI