Thanks for all the thoughts and stories.  The engine has run fine now for many
hours since that incident, so I am going to ignore it for now.  You can’t fix a
problem that happens once and doesn’t repeat.  To answer some questions: M4-30
diesel, new Racor unit and filters, some new fuel lines.  I have a pressure
gauge on top of the Racor, so I know if filters are clogged and they are not.
Like Chuck, I have an electric fuel pump which eliminates a bunch of possible
causes.  If the problem recurs, I will deal with it, but motoring most of the
way to Block Island and back with no trouble easies my mind.  However, I have
to say, I will never be fully comfortable or trusting of engines in general.
Whenever I have a long motoring to do, I am never happy or confident in my
engine.  I guess that’s why I have a sailboat and sail it most of the time.
Dave

S/V Aries
1990 C&C 34+
New London, CT