On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 21:25, Greg Swift <gregsw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 11:10, Scott Henson <shen...@redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, 10 Apr 2011 18:40:14 -0500, Greg Swift <gregsw...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > So you can follow along here:
>> > https://github.com/gregswift/cobbler.git
>> > or
>> > git://github.com/gregswift/cobbler.git

Still there for those of you interested in the current state of affairs :)

I'm going to just kind of pile up my changes on top of what I listed previously:

> However... i'd love it if someone checked out the current version and gave
> me some feedback (see my note at the bottom first).  I made a few changes on
> top of the earlier mock ups.. here is a basic summary:
>
> 1: took the "Currently logged in" and logout buttons and made them appear in
> the top right corner of all the pages
> 2: The primary cobbler logo is now a background component via css.
> 3: Moved program name and version to the footer, and linked to cobbler main
> page.
>     a: for some reason version only works on the index page.. any
> suggestions?
>     b: I thought I had this as a sticky footer, but i musta broke that
> somewhere along the way... is still my plan
>         http://www.cssstickyfooter.com/using-sticky-footer-code.html
> 4: Created new side menu at the bottom called 'Cobbler' and moved
> CobblerAdmin/Help to this section
> 5: All links now hover to a blue and aren't underlines
> 6: Page specific actions (create new X) are currently just text links, kinda
> back to the way before the drop down.

7: All button and action links now look like buttons.  Inline buttons
in the list views are smaller than the rest of the buttons, but
otherwise look the same.
8: On hover the buttons go from blue to black, like the links go from
black to blue.
9: Very different look to the list views.  No more zebra stripes, but
there is still hover highlight and now there is multiselect
highlighting.  Hows unhighlighted are distinguished by a faint
underline.
10: Added some formatting to the text inputs
11: Dropdowns and Select boxes are not stylized so that native
handling is done.  this is because they don't style well.
12: Added an 'Add' button for the filter section.  The old behavior
still exists, but now there is an add button to compliment it
13: Made all fields on login screen centered, i didn't like the look
of everything centered but entering text was lefft aligned.
14: Brought back the context help in the edit forms.  This went away
(I think) on accident when fixing it so that people didn't
accidentally try to edit the names.
15: Made the previously mentioned context help appear on the hover of
a little ? icon i created (my original idea was to use a :before
classified, but IE didn't support that and thus was completely broken.
 Better Icon or suggestions are welcome.  Its purely css, so easily
changed.
16: Removed the 'Enabled' next to the checkboxes in the forms.  In
some cases it was completely redundant, and overall I just didn't like
the look of it.  Can be easily re-added via CSS, just won't work in IE
that way.
17: All of the edit fieldsets (they're back now) contain ordered
lists, which in theory helps with accessibility.  I can't prove this,
but I'm hoping its true.  Any takers on finding out if thats true?
18: Got the version to appear in the footer at the bottom of every page.
19: Changed the multiselects to have the buttons in between the select
boxes, and removed the words from them, so its just arrows.
20: Batch Actions drop down has "Batch Actions" as a do nothing
header... this is to label what the drop down is for without having a
bunch of extra text on the page.
21: cleaned up a lot of css alignment bits

> Along with some hidden bits:
> 1: re-spaced all of the templates (we won't talk about my occasional ocd)
>    a: all embedded javascript is 4 spaces
>    b: all html and embedded templating are 2 spaces
>    c: embedded templating lines up and indents independently of the html
> 2: Removed the action list shading code (subsection shading in forms still
> works)
> 3: Moved pretty much ALL layout/view to css.  I think there was one thing
> left i need to go back and find.
> 4: all fieldsets are gone (I realized after the fact that maybe these should
> have stayed in the form.. they might go back...? we'll see)
> 5: login autofocuses via html5...

6: #4 reverted, fieldsets are back... I actually didn't mean to do
that in the first place, just did and went with it.
7: Fixed some of my own typos
8: Made all self closing tags end in " />" instead of just "/>" which
left some of them butting up to attributes.
9: Fixed some typos that I created along the way... oops
10: probably some more

> Some pending things:
> 1: "action" links... (ie: Create new, edit copy, logout) will eventually
> look lke something else.. buttoms probably.. but i want to make sure things
> are kinda consistent with the native form fields.. so that may not happen
> the way i want.. we'll see..).
DONE!
> 2: pagination on top and bottom (need to look into the fact that they have
> the same id if i do it now.. might be a simple fix)
Can someone show me how to create an incrementable django variable
inside a template? :)  Otherwise I end up with 2 sections with the
exact same id and name created in two separate portions of the code
(same template, but its called differently from different templates)

> 3: james wanted checkboxed rows to stay highlighted (i figured out
> highlight, unhighlight just didnt work....)
DONE!

> 4: Make the action list in left menu drop down (the more I look at this the
> more i can't decide which way to go with it)
Still not sure if I want to do this.. I think I like it as is.

> 5: started some consildation logic in a few places.  would like to see if
> its reasonable to get generic+kickstart+snippets all on the same code
Didn't really get anywhere with this to be honest.  But I did do my
best to make sure that the code in all 3 sets of templates was as
similar as possible, which did not used to be the case.

> 6: general spit'n'polish (margins and such)
I don't know if this will every be finished.... but I think we're at a
good spot.

> I've only looked at this in ff3.6 and ff4.  so PLEASE try it out in your
> environment if you use something else.

I've looked some in IE7 now.  Its functional, but not pretty.

So... Honestly I think i'm kind of at that ~95% point.  This is
functional and doable.  Once more of you look at it, play with it, and
give feedback we might be able to get it to 98%, but then the other 2%
is just gonna happen over time.

So please... check it out :)

And as was discussed before... best way to test it is:

checkout
use make to build rpms
update to the new RPMs

If you are updating from 2.0 series to 2.1 (which is what this is) you
will need to make sure you have the tftp section in your modules.conf
file

-greg/xaeth