Todd Zullinger wrote:
> Michael DeHaan wrote:
>   
>> Anyway, github has some very nice graphing features, one of which
>> shows something they call "impact".  Who is making changes to
>> cobbler over time.
>>     
>
> Neat.  The git homepage does something less fancy, but similar.  It
> lists the authors, using the output of git shortlog (which it does in
> a round-about way, that I sent a patch to simplify :).
>
>   
>> I've mentioned before if someone wishes to keep their patches on
>> github (or another git tree that is web accessible), that easily
>> allows me to preserve attribution.
>>     
>
> What's wrong with using git am (short for apply mailbox)?  

I use Thunderbird and it really doesn't work well for me.

I tried saving the email to an eml and using git am versus git apply on 
it and it didn't work.   Really really wish it did.


> The patches
> generated by git format-patch can be used directly as input to git am
> and will preserve attribution¹  Folks can even use git send-email or
> git imap-send to get the patches sent if their email client doesn't
> make it easy to use the format-patch output as a message.
>
> I'm genuinely curious, as maybe the git am workflow isn't suitable for
> everyone.  I know in puppet, it doesn't seem to be used either.  But
> git and the kernel operate largely using this workflow.  In some
> cases, the problem is that people use crappy email clients that make
> it harder to import and/or extract a the patch from the messages they
> send.  (My answer to that is to use a better client. ;)
>
> It's not really a big deal (for me anyway, most patches I send are
> incredibly trivial).  It's more of an anal-retentive data-junkie pet
> peeve.  But I do think it's nice to have an accurate log of authors,
> as it allows cool things like the github graphs and other tools to
> show how wide (or narrow) a community is.  And, it gets the maintainer
> off the hook for any crap patches you import as yourself.
>
> Hopefully as the tools improve and more folks use distributed
> versioning systems, preserving authorship and blame will become more
> commonplace and easier for everyone.
>
> And, a big thanks to you Michael for all the work you've put into
> developing and maintaining Cobbler, as well as all the other folks
> here!  It's a very cool tool to have available.
>
> ¹ Perhaps also worth mentioning is that git commit has an --author
> option that can be used to preserve attribution as well as the
> GIT_AUTH_NAME and GIT_AUTHOR_EMAIL (and corresponding
> GIT_COMMITTER_NAME and GIT_COMMITTER_EMAIL too).  These are all less
> convenient options than git am -- as long as you can get folks to send
> patches properly. :)
>
>   
yeah, I'm aware, I'll probably start using that.

I asked a while back whether it was doable to edit them retroactively 
but that's kind of tricky/unsafe (so I've been told).

> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> _______________________________________________
> cobbler mailing list
> [email protected]
> https://fedorahosted.org/mailman/listinfo/cobbler
>   

_______________________________________________
cobbler mailing list
[email protected]
https://fedorahosted.org/mailman/listinfo/cobbler

Reply via email to