Michael DeHaan wrote:
>> What's wrong with using git am (short for apply mailbox)?
>
> I use Thunderbird and it really doesn't work well for me.

Gotcha.

> I tried saving the email to an eml and using git am versus git apply
> on it and it didn't work.   Really really wish it did.

Yeah, it can fail for a number of reasons.  Often, git am -3 works if
the failure is due to a conflict, as -3 tells git to try a 3-way merge
and it can often work out the right thing then.

But if the sending mail client or receiving mail client mucks up the
patch with word wrapping or format-flowed, it's more annoying.  There
was a long thread on the git list a few weeks ago about Thunderbird
and the format-flowed setting.

The git docs have a SubmittingPatches file with some tips for sending
patches using Thunderbird.  I don't know if any of that is helpful
for using Thunderbird to apply patches (other than helping folks
ensure they send you workable patches that don't waste too much of
your time).

Just in case it's useful to anyone:

http://git.kernel.org/?p=git/git.git;a=blob;f=Documentation/SubmittingPatches;h=8d818a21600f386abb02dee902d842a716767027;hb=HEAD#l374

> yeah, I'm aware, I'll probably start using that.

I've been pondering adding any patches I send to my fedorapeople space
and then maintainers could just do something like:

    curl -s http://tmz.fedorapeople.org/patches/some.patch | git am

For the minor patches I tend to send, setting up public repos for all
the projects I might send a few one-liners or doc fixes to is just a
lot of work (and disk space). :)

> I asked a while back whether it was doable to edit them retroactively
> but that's kind of tricky/unsafe (so I've been told).

Definitely, for an already published history.  You could get away with
it before you push your local commits to the public repo.  But that
doesn't do much for past commits.

No worries.  It's certainly nothing to lose sleep over. :)

-- 
Todd        OpenPGP -> KeyID: 0xBEAF0CE3 | URL: www.pobox.com/~tmz/pgp
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Never take life seriously.  Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Attachment: pgp40f1HiX8l3.pgp
Description: PGP signature

_______________________________________________
cobbler mailing list
[email protected]
https://fedorahosted.org/mailman/listinfo/cobbler

Reply via email to