On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 8:28 AM, Matt Wallace
<li...@truthisfreedom.org.uk> wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-06-15 at 08:19 -0400, Ronald J Yacketta wrote:
>>
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > Is there anyway of querying the cobbler XML-RPC API to find out if a
>> > node has finished building?
>>
>> Maybe this could help?
>>
>> # Email out a report when cobbler finishes installing a system.
>> # enabled: set to 1 to turn this feature on
>> # sender: optional
>> # email: which addresses to email
>> # smtp_server: used to specify another server for an MTA
>> # subject: use the default subject unless overridden
>>
>> We use it here and get a E-Mail every time a system is either PXE'ed or
>> Koan'ed
>
> Hmmm, that looks interesting, however in this case I'm not tto sure it
> will help...
>
> Let me provide some more details about what I'm doing here... :)
>
> All of our servers are managed by Puppet and provisioned from Cobbler.
>
> I'm working on implementing CI of our server configs using Hudson and
> Cucumber-Puppet
>
> Part of this process is to launch a VM, apply the config changes from
> Puppet, test and then destroy the VM so that we know we are testing from
> a known-base each time.
>
> Unfortunately, Cucumber-Puppet can't talk to libvirt natively (although
> Ruby can), so I've written a wrapper that execs Koan and then tries to
> run the tests.
>
> The VM is being created without issue, and is building fine, however
> apart from a small (!?) issue with LibVirt not allowing kvm hosts to
> reboot (possibly solved now), as Cucumber-Puppet doesn't know the VM has
> finished building it continues to try and run the tests and dies
> horribly because the VM isn't installed yet!
>
> I've tried adding "sleeps" into the script but that seems to be a really
> nasty way of doing things... :(
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Matt

Could you just poll the cobbler master for that particular hosts
netboot-enabled status and verify it's connectivity so you know it's
booted up?  The netboot-enabled status is toggled if you included a
snippet and enable it in cobbler settings.  You could also add your
own trigger to do something else if you wanted.  You would have to
make sure the post-install triggers executed successfully on install.