From: cobbler-boun...@lists.fedorahosted.org
[mailto:cobbler-boun...@lists.fedorahosted.org] On Behalf Of Matt Wallace
Sent: Tuesday, June 15, 2010 08:29
To: cobbler mailing list
Subject: Re: Confirming when a VM has been provisioned?

On Tue, 2010-06-15 at 08:19 -0400, Ronald J Yacketta wrote:

> > Hi all,
> >
> > Is there anyway of querying the cobbler XML-RPC API to find out if a
> > node has finished building?
>
> Maybe this could help?
>
> # Email out a report when cobbler finishes installing a system.
> # enabled: set to 1 to turn this feature on
> # sender: optional
> # email: which addresses to email
> # smtp_server: used to specify another server for an MTA
> # subject: use the default subject unless overridden
>
> We use it here and get a E-Mail every time a system is either PXE'ed or
> Koan'ed

Hmmm, that looks interesting, however in this case I'm not tto sure it
will help...

Let me provide some more details about what I'm doing here... :)

All of our servers are managed by Puppet and provisioned from Cobbler.

I'm working on implementing CI of our server configs using Hudson and
Cucumber-Puppet

Part of this process is to launch a VM, apply the config changes from
Puppet, test and then destroy the VM so that we know we are testing from
a known-base each time.

Unfortunately, Cucumber-Puppet can't talk to libvirt natively (although
Ruby can), so I've written a wrapper that execs Koan and then tries to
run the tests.

The VM is being created without issue, and is building fine, however
apart from a small (!?) issue with LibVirt not allowing kvm hosts to
reboot (possibly solved now), as Cucumber-Puppet doesn't know the VM has
finished building it continues to try and run the tests and dies
horribly because the VM isn't installed yet!

I've tried adding "sleeps" into the script but that seems to be a really
nasty way of doing things... :(

Any ideas?

Kind regards,

Matt