Bob Zilly, Mary and I went on a multi-lake tour today, hitting a dozen
Boulder and Weld county lakes.  Most predominant species seen today--Western
Grebe's everywhere.  Never seen this many in my life, much less in one day.
Highlights as follows:

Baseline Res: 2 SURF SCOTER (female), reported by Christian Nunes last week
and still present (thanks Christian!).  Also present, 4 HOODED MERGANSERS
and 4 BUFFLEHEAD.  Great to see these arriving!

Valmont Reservoir (Legion Park): Wind kept the viewing brief from up on the
hill, with many species too far in the distance to identify.  But one SNOW
GOOSE seen among Canada Geese.

North Teller Lake: 14 LONG-BILLED DOWITCHERS still present and very busy
feeding.

Prince Lake #2: 4 LONG-BILLED DOWITCHERS and 8 FRANKLIN'S GULLS among the
many Ring-billed Gulls.

Union Reservior: Best viewing in NW corner of lake where we had 1 COMMON
LOON, 1 late GREAT EGRET, and 1 possible juvenile YELLOW-BILLED LOON.  YBLO
only provided 2 frontal views in between dives and then disappeared among
the billions of Western Grebes.  I was not too confident of any ID based on
Sibley's and Peterson's drawings, but this evenings research has led to
photos indicative of Yellow-billed.  Am probably going to return Sunday
morning to re-locate and get a different angle.

Great birding!

Mike Blatchley
Longmont, CO