After being out of town for the last week, I joined up with Rob Raker and we checked out the feeders at the Red Rocks Trading Post this morning. Since there wasn't much in the way of birdseed, I scattered some seed on the west side and we waited and watched. Things were a bit slow to start, but after an hour and a half the White-throated Sparrow, Curve-billed Thrasher, Golden-crowned Sparrow, and first winter Harris's Sparrow had all come in to feed in that order. We only saw a single Brown-capped Rosy-Finch early in the morning shortly after our arrival.

After birding elsewhere, we returned to Red Rocks about noon and discovered the huge flock of Rosy-Finches (125-150 birds) with Gray- crowned and Gray-cheeked(Hepburn's) the most common, with some Brown- capped, and a few Black's. Rob, along with two other birders (Bob and Nancy), were able to get some close-up photos.

I would suggest bringing some feed with you if you go to Red Rocks. There wasn't much seed on the ground and the action was a little slow early.

Mike Henwood
Morrison, Jefferson County