All,

Scatted some seed early this morning and Rob Raker and I spent approx. 1.5 hours watching Rosy-Finches (only went to the car twice to warm up..brrr). The numbers were up from yesterday - our guess close to 75 with all three species(Gray-crowned, Brown-capped, Black) plus the usual number of Hepburn's. We saw the White-throated Sparrow and Golden-crowned Sparrow several different times. The Curve-billed Thrasher and Harris's Sparrow did not show while we were there. Went back about 2 this afternoon to scatter more seed, but did not stay to watch. The Rosy-finches were all there at that time.

With the bitter cold one feels a responsibility to keep feeding all the Red Rocks birds during this cold snap. I will be working the next few days, but will go by Red Rocks early A.M. and get seed out. If anyone is going to visit Red Rocks, I would encourage them to bring seed and scatter it about in the areas that have been cleared of snow. I also have cleared space on the south wall and placed seed on it. Seems to be a favorite place of the Rosy's when there is seed there. One other caution - numbers of birders/photographers standing close to the corner near the lower apple tree discourages large numbers of Rosy's(and maybe other birds as well) from using the south wall and area under the tree to feed. With the bitter cold it is important we allow the birds to feed without disrupting them and causing them to repeatedly take flight and then return thereby placing undue stress on the birds.

Enjoy, bring bird seed, and dress warm!

Mike Henwood
Morrison
Jefferson County