Maybe the bird just had  an itch it was trying to scratch

Scott Rashid
Estes Park

----- Original Message ----- From: <mfg5...@live.com>
To: "Colorado Birds" <cobirds@googlegroups.com>
Sent: Tuesday, July 19, 2011 7:02 PM
Subject: [cobirds] Bizarre Bird Behavior - anting, dusting, ticking?

Observed something rather strange on Sunday driving down my street
about noon. A bird,(sp unidentified but likely a house finch) was
moving/hopping across the street when all of a sudden it threw itself
on it's back and proceeded to flail around, legs bicycling in the air,
body writhing like a snake. After about 2 seconds of that it stood up,
took a few more steps and repeated the exercise.  It happened one more
time but by then it was in my rear view mirror. The third time it
looked like it was doing the elementary back stroke (sort of a rowing
motion w its wings)  Should have stopped to satisfy my curiosity right
then.

Anyway, I haven't begun to research this but wondered if anyone else
has seen similar behavior. The surface was asphalt, somewhat gravelly.
So far, my guesses are: 1) this was some sort of anting, dusting
behavior however seems very odd that a bird would expose it's belly to
the sky, 2)  are there records of epilepsy in birds (or other seizure-
causing maladies)?  or 3) bird was practicing a new type of slam-
dancing.

Any insights are appreciated

Mary Geder
Lakewood, CO