Good Morning All,

Threw some seed out early at the Red Rocks Trading Post and the Golden- crowned Sparrow appeared under the upper apple tree around 7:30 A.M.

The Peregrines were calling to each other and the last I saw of them the female was perched on top of Ship Rock and the male was perched to the north on top of Creation Rock. The Ravens were also vocal, with the female on the nest on a ledge on Ship Rock, and the male calling from a perch on a juniper snag to the west.

The Prairie Falcons were active with the male perched on top of Frog Rock and the female on a ledge on Cave Rock.

I also discovered what I think is a "Bushtit nest in the making". I will know more in the next couple of days. My experience with Bushtits suggests that in our area they often build their nests in late March/April in a tall bush or shrub like tree, which makes the long sock tubular nest somewhat conspicious. It takes them several weeks to build the nest. Once the nest is complete, the Bushtit pair seems to vacate the immediate nest area, then come back to use the nest once the shrubs/trees/vines leaf out. Once the leaves are out, unless you know exactly where the nest is located, it is very difficult to find the nest. I have also seen Bushtit nests in juniper trees, and they are always well hidden.

Mike Henwood
Morrison
Jefferson County