It seems to me that the interests of the birding community are not being
taken very much into consideration in any serious fashion by Colo. Parks &
Wildlife and that has been a longstanding problem.  This is not just
specific to this issue, this SWA, or the new requirement mandating all
users to have a fishing/hunting license to use SWAs, but really with regard
to a whole host of issues for both SWAs and State Parks from usage policies
to land and water management policies, etc.  I am well aware that--at least
in the past--the birding community was at a disadvantage from the
standpoint that CPW saw hunters and fisherman as their primary revenue
source, particularly for SWAs, but the new rules change that equation.

Perhaps what could be very effective here is greater action by our State's
various birding organizations like Denver Audubon, DFO, CFO, etc.  I think
one of the prime reasons hunting and fishing groups get policies in line
with what they want from CPW is their groups are extremely active and vocal
in pushing their agenda.  This is not to say individuals should not speak
out themselves on these issues (they should), but larger groups who can
speak for many do often carry more weight.  Larger groups can also organize
campaigns to get more individuals (their members) to speak out on crucial
issues, get the word out to members and keep in contact with CPW officials
on new policies.  Perhaps groups like Denver Audubon, CFO and DFO might
consider taking a more active and vocal role in proactively pushing for
pro-birding policies with CPW and other decision makers.  It's often much
easier to proactively impact these policies before they are put into place
instead of trying to react to and undo a new policy that we find
problematic.

John Malenich
Boulder, CO