On Mar 19, 2008, at 1:26 PM, Sherm Pendley wrote:

IMHO, a single socket() call, although admittedly a bit old school :-), is a little cleaner than reflecting a CF callback to an Objective-C method.

Cleaner? You'll get no argument from me on that. It took me a lot of playing around to wrap my head around how the CFNetwork classes work and to get them work in an Objective-C class.

All you need to do is call socket() to create the socket descriptor, then pass that to NSFileHandle's -initWithFileDescriptor: initializer. After that, it's all standard Cocoa methods to read, write, and listen for incoming connection requests.

Sound simple enough. In fact, rather obvious now that you mention it, though I've never used NSFileHandle's asynchronous methods before. I'm looking forward to trying it out, though - it sounds like it would make for simpler, and more easily maintained code.

Thanks!
Jeff