With the tools apple provides, you can not change a serial number, but you can program a serial number in to a blank board. If your good with assembly you can modify the software to allow you to change the serial number.

The tech you encountered did not do his job properly. The service manual says that you must program in the old serial number. If you take your machines to any apple authorized service provider (or anyone else who has GSX access) they can do this for you.