Or it is a prototype machine from Apple that was never a real production machine but that got out into the wild somehow. When I worked there, all the prototype machines used to have their serial # (and other firmware info) missing.

-m

Kenny Leung wrote:
This is a G5 machine, so it must be new enough. Maybe it has been in for repairs. Thanks for the tip!

-Kenny