on 4/9/08 9:14 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] purportedly said:

> On Apr 9, 2008, at 17:06, Keary Suska wrote:
>> on 4/9/08 4:31 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] purportedly said:
>>
>>> When the button is pressed it turns out that filterExpression (and
>>> therefor also the stringValue of it) is nil.
>>>
>>> I assume somehow I could probably also get the value from the
>>> NSArrayController ...but
>>>
>>> a) I am not sure how to get hold of the instance from within the
>>> FilterViewItem
>>>
>>> b) I would need to get access to the NSTextField at some stage anyway
>>>
>>> What am I missing here?
>>
>> Is you outlet actually connected in IB? If it is properly connected,
>> it
>> shouldn't be nil.
>
> Yeah ...that's connected. Which is why I am so surprised it's nil.

Well, AFAIK it's not possible for an outlet to be nil, as long as the object
with the outlet is instantiated in the nib or is the file's owner.
Otherwise, the outlet will never be set.

Have you put an NSLog in the object's awakeFromNib to make sure your object
is involved in the nib and the outlet is being set?

Best,

Keary Suska
Esoteritech, Inc.