On Apr 10, 2008, at 17:51, Keary Suska wrote:
on 4/10/08 4:30 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] purportedly said:

Here is a small screenshot of the bindings

http://vafer.org/pub/bindings.png

As the button binding is working so should the NSTextField binding ...one would think. But just to verify I've also added the awakeFromNib. As expected
it  also gets called.

Is there a way to get more information on the NIB startup?

I did get to the correct Core Data value via representedObject

- (IBAction) applyFilter:(id)sender
{
    NSString *expression = [[self representedObject] Expression];

...but that still doesn't really help with the normal bindings :-(

Just to be clear, "binding" is a specific technology that has nothing to do with outlet setting. Better to use proper terminology or suggestions may not
be correct.

Uh ...OK. Sorry, I thought that would also be referred to as binding. But apparently it's just called a "connection".

Anyway, in your original post, you say:

When the button is pressed it turns out that filterExpression (and
therefor also the stringValue of it) is nil.

Are you certain that filterExpression is nil? Just because it's string value
is nil, doesn't mean the outlet is nil.

I"ve tested with a

if (filterExpression == nil) NSLog(...)

and by running it through the debugger stopping at a breakpoint in that function.

But anyway ...that NSTextField is nil although the connection is set in IB. Which I can only assume has something to do it being a NSCollectionViewItem.

It just means the field thinks that
it's empty. If it *isn't* nil, then make sure that the field editor has committed changes. Remember that in the UI, when editing a text field, you aren't editing the text field, but the field editor. Edits aren't normally committed until either the field is exited or effected by certain binding
options (such as 'continuously updates value").

Yeah ...that's clear.

cheers
--
Torsten