Is there a way using this tool or even programmatically, to have disk images mount without having the collapsed toolbar? The biggest user confusion I see is that they do not even recognize it to be a window since most users don't even know what that capsule shaped button does.

There is definitely a big gulf of knowledge that all of us should be working to educate users about, albeit in subtle ways. We should all be making subtle efforts to convince users that they want to and need to learn more. This reduces support costs.