Going through the list archives, I've found that the topic of creating and using zip files in a Cocoa app has come up a few times over the years.

A frequently-mentioned approach is to use NSTask wrapped around a command-line tool such as ditto or zip/unzip. However, besides the concern about the tools not being installed since they're part of the BSD Subsystem (is this a concern on Leopard, BTW? IIRC, the BSD subsystem is no longer optional), the overhead of spawning a task is sub-optimal. Another approach is to use Zlib directly. However, since it only does single-file compression and doesn't handle folder recursion or archive creation, it requires some possibly significant wrapper code. A third approach is to use Minizip <http://www.winimage.com/zLibDll/minizip.html >, a C-based wrapper around Zlib that does all the archive-related stuff.

I'm leaning towards Minizip and writing an ObjC wrapper around some of its functions. I did see some old posts about people having done this, and there is a note at <http://www.cocoadev.com/index.pl?ZipArchiveLibraryForCocoa > where someone made such a wrapper available, but the link appears to be dead.

Does anyone have any suggestions or examples for doing this in a Leopard-only application? Thanks.

----
Karl Moskowski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Voodoo Ergonomics Inc. <http://voodooergonomics.com/>