On Mon, May 5, 2008 at 6:36 PM, Christian Graus
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  Yeah, that's where I found the docs.  IMHO it's a real shame that a proper
>  DOM implimentation is not available as standard.  I am familiar with XQuery,
>  but I've never known anyone to use it, perhaps it's used more on Mac ? I'm
>  just surprised to see Microsoft adhering to standards and Apple not doing
>  so.

Just to interject here, XPath/XQuery is, in fact, a standard:
http://www.w3.org/TR/xpath

I'd imagine that the reason a DOM-style API is restricted to WebKit is
that XPath/XQuery are intended to be generic XML access methods (and
that's what they provide) where DOM is much more closely tied to web
pages.

I had to pick up the XPath stuff recently for a project I was working
on, and I've got to say that once you get yourself thinking in that
way, it's really very nice for inspecting XML files, giving you great,
readable control for grabbing segments out of the document and then
inspecting or manipulating them.
--
- David T. Wilson
[EMAIL PROTECTED]