On May 6, 2008, at 5:40 PM, Bill wrote:

On May 6, 2008, at 3:31 PM, Michael Watson wrote:
Thoughts:

1. Why not build your own preview panel/window? It's remarkably easy to do if you already have the image data in an NSData object.

True, but preview has other advantages, such as saving the file to various formats. Sure I could do all that, but since that functionality already exists in Preview....

2. If you must use Preview, you could write the image to a temp file and tell Preview to open that via NSWorkspace's - openFile:withApplication: method.

I tried that also, but then there is that temp file that could end up in the Recovered Items folder in the Trash. That method also exposes the temp folder in Preview (which is probably not a big deal, but it looks odd).

My app currently does this as well for PDF files. While I could (and may still) put in all the code to directly print, I felt it was a nice stepping stone to rely on Preview.

But, yes, the temp folder gets a bit clunky especially when users do a Save As... (they start in the temp folder in the NSSavePanel).

For another feature of the app (which also generates PDF), I changed the workflow to first run an NSSavePanel to let the user specify file name and location. I then generate the PDF at that location and launch Preview to open it. I'm not sure if this workflow works for you though since you probably want more of a "throw away" preview.