On May 25, 2008, at 2:15 AM, Johnny Lundy wrote:

And, if I don't understand something, I will ask why. This is not magic - there is actual computer code behind that File's Owner concept, and it is deterministic, not vague, not abstract, not a philosophical enigma, not random, not ambiguous. If I had the source code I could see what it does.

But your most recent emails explain that you already understand _what_ it does, and you were only confused about the why! Looking at the source code wouldn't help with the why.

As I attempted to explain, you will come to understand the why with experience. Since you seem vexed about not understanding it now, I suggested that you take a look at some of the sample code which uses File's Owner in non-trivial ways. I also provided a quickie conceptual example of an application which presents one model in two views.

Another quickie conceptual example: the classic document-based application architecture. In that architecture, you often re-use a single nib, loading it repeatedly. That nib describes the interface for a single document. But the application can open multiple documents. That is, it has multiple models. Note that in this case, the model can't live in the nib -- it's coming from a document file somewhere. Each time the application loads the nib for a document's interface, the new objects from that nib have to connect up to a different model/document. They do this through the File's Owner, which is a different object for each loading of the nib.

-Ken