On May 25, 2008, at 6:20 AM, mmalc crawford wrote:
On May 25, 2008, at 12:15 AM, Johnny Lundy wrote:

And, if I don't understand something, I will ask why.

Here are some suggestions as to how you might pose your questions:

I hesitate to re-enter this thread, I really do. But I think those of us who have been trying to help might want to re-consider how we've been answering, as well as how the questions have been posed. There have been many fine, thorough answers to Johnny's question. The fact that none of them have seemed to help should tell us something.

If I can make a rough analogy, many of our answers have been like different re-implementations of an algorithm. Like the guy on the guillotine in that engineer joke, we each think we see what the problem is. And so we "recode" the algorithm our own way, "run" it -- i.e., post our new, improved explanation -- and find it still fails. [1]

I submit that instead of recoding the "explain File's Owner" algorithm, other approaches might lead to a quicker resolution.

One alternative is a "printf" approach to narrowing down the problem. Just as we often tell people to check that variables are what they think they are (D'oh! -- forgot to set an outlet), it might help if we state the relevant logic in *very fundamental* terms and have Johnny indicate *at which point* in the logic he gets lost. This is the approach I tried to take earlier, and although Johnny referred to a line in the Apple docs rather than in my explanation, it led to a very revealing question. He asked:

What other objects outside the nib?

To me this suggested a FUNDAMENTAL disconnect, possibly at a level that precedes understanding File's Owner. If I were inclined to follow up, I might ask:

* Do you now understand there can be objects outside the nib?
* Do you understand that your application creates objects, including the application instance, *before* loading MainMenu.nib? * Do you understand that you might want to create and load a nib other than MainMenu.nib? * Do you understand that you may have an object X of your own in your application just *before* you load your nib? * Do you understand that loading the nib will create a bunch of new objects A, B, and C? * Can you imagine that you'd want X to connect to one or more of A, B, and C?

Besides the "printf" approach, another possibility might be a "homework" approach: write an application that does X, where X highlights the reason for File's Owner. This would require extensive personal followup -- perhaps something a tutor could offer to do for pay.

This is not magic - there is actual computer code behind that File's Owner concept, and it is deterministic, not vague, not abstract, not a philosophical enigma, not random, not ambiguous. If I had the source code I could see what it does.

But that's where you're leading yourself astray -- there isn't any source code to see. The nib file is an object graph with a hole in it.

I assumed Johnny meant the source code that *reads* the nib. I personally don't believe that would help.

The File's Owner is the hole -- the one thing that *isn't* created in the nib.

First Responder and Application are also not created in the nib.  :)

Despite teaching OB/GYN for 17 years, this is why computer science is always my main interest.

Perhaps it's your background that's causing you the problem. My father was Dr. J. Selwyn Crawford. I persuaded him to buy a Mac in 1986. He somehow failed to understand (a rarity) that when you use a word processor you don't have to put Returns at the end of the line...

It's true we all have different blind spots.

I've written firmware before we called it firmware. I have never NOT been able to grasp something until this and bindings. Aaron says lots of people have trouble understanding File's Owner, so I can only conclude that it's the documentation, or lack thereof.

I think this is a fallacious conclusion.

It is a fallacious conclusion for many reasons, one of which is that it also discounts the many sincere efforts of people on this list who have tried to help.

--Andy

[1] BTW, I am aware of the dangers of using computer concepts as models for human reasoning and human interactions. Take this analogy only for what it's worth.