On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 2:12 AM, Charles Srstka <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> 1) The file format for saved files. I'd rather not make some
> proprietary/closed Microsoft-ish thing - I'd like it to be possible for
> other programs to read/write my file format, including hypothetical programs
> that might get written for other platforms so that my file format could
> possibly be readable and writable by our Linux friends (and Windows carbon
> units as well). Since CoreData has a SQLite-based format, and since SQLite
> is available pretty much everywhere, this seems pretty good as long as I am
> able to figure out how CoreData sets up the tables and such in its
> documents, except for one concern: what if the layout of the SQLite file
> CoreData creates changes?

It's an implementation detail on which you cannot rely.  Instead, I
would suggest creating an interchange version of your file format, or
(even better) exporting to a known interchange format if possible.

The popularity of the .doc format is actually a pretty big burden to
MS.  It was never intended to be an interchange format, but the
popularity of Office turned it into one.  Then the Internet came along
and all of a sudden the optimizations like "just tack on changes to
the end of the file" became a Really Bad Idea(TM).  So MS is finally
adding native PDF support to Word 2007 to alleviate this issue.  Maybe
we can finally use .doc as it was intended, a Word-only modifiable
version of the document, and leave the distributable versions to the
interchange formats.

--Kyle Sluder