On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 12:48 AM, Kyle Sluder
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 12:01 PM, Charles Srstka
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> It also
>> means that even for a Mac-only app you could end up with this really weird
>> situation where an app running on a later version of OS X could end up
>> saving a file that was unreadable by the same version of the same app that
>> just happens to be running on an earlier OS X version.
>
> This is extremely unlikely to occur in practice.  Apple is sensible
> enough to, in these sorts of circumstances, make these changes
> depending on which SDK you're compiling against or, since Core Data
> has versioning support now, silently upgrade files upon opening them.

Note that silently upgrading files when opening is the last thing
you'd want in this case. A file saved using FooApp 1.2 on 10.6 should
still work in FooApp 1.2 on 10.5. If you destroy my files so that they
no longer work on 10.5 without even asking me then I'll get upset.

I assume Apple understands this and won't break backwards
compatibility, but it would be nice if there were some sort of
official statement on the compatibility of CoreData documents across
OS versions, past and future. Or if it exists already, it would be
nice if someone could point it out. :)

Mike