On Jun 3, 2008, at 7:03 AM, Kyle Sluder wrote:

On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 2:12 AM, Charles Srstka <[EMAIL PROTECTED] > wrote:
1) The file format for saved files. I'd rather not make some
proprietary/closed Microsoft-ish thing - I'd like it to be possible for other programs to read/write my file format, including hypothetical programs that might get written for other platforms so that my file format could possibly be readable and writable by our Linux friends (and Windows carbon units as well). Since CoreData has a SQLite-based format, and since SQLite is available pretty much everywhere, this seems pretty good as long as I am
able to figure out how CoreData sets up the tables and such in its
documents, except for one concern: what if the layout of the SQLite file
CoreData creates changes?

It's an implementation detail on which you cannot rely.

That's what I was afraid of. So it seems that by using CoreData, one loses all control over his or her app's file format, which is a shame. It also means that even for a Mac-only app you could end up with this really weird situation where an app running on a later version of OS X could end up saving a file that was unreadable by the same version of the same app that just happens to be running on an earlier OS X version. This really limits the usefulness of CoreData in my view - I suppose I could write all the loading and saving code myself, but it seems like I'd lose a lot of the benefit of CoreData that way. I'll probably end up just doing a regular app and using the SQLite APIs directly.

Thanks,
Charles