I have traced the problem to KVO race conditions.

In most cases these can be solved by setting up the key dependencies and occasionally by using the NSKeyValueObservingOptionInitial (Leopard only) option.

From your summary, I'm assuming that the editLayer property is dependent on the NSIndexPath that you're also observing.

So, if you're targeting 10.4 you can use the +setKeys:triggerChangeNotificationsForDependentKey: method in your controller's +initialize method to set the dependencies. This method is deprecated in Leopard in favor of the +keyPathsForValuesAffectingValueForKey: method. Look them up in the documentation for how to use them.

Keith