OK, if I understand the documentation correctly, the first suggestion
might work.  Thanks.

    I don't think the second one is applicable here.  (I have used that
successfully within one class.)

    Yes, the observed editLayer in displayController was being observed by
the displayEditcontroller.  The NSIndexSet was being observed by the
displayController.  These had to be set in their respective "awakeFromNib"
because the connections had to be in place to get access to the document to
ger the NSIndexSet (i.e., the path through the data hierarchy to get to the
Shot and Layer).