On 4 Jun '08, at 6:06 PM, Randall Meadows wrote:

Two ways:

1) int i;
  for(i=0; i<length; i+=1 )

B) Adjust the "C Language Dialect" project setting to include C99.

I'd recommend the latter. C99 is backward compatible has a lot of useful additions to C. This topic came up recently on the xcode-users list and I posted this plug:

The best features IMHO are:

* Conveniences that C++ has always had:
* variable declarations don't have to go at the beginning of a block (this *really* cleans up code and eliminates a lot of opportunities to use uninitialized variables)
        * you can declare the loop variable inside a 'for' loop, i.e.
                for (int x=0; x<10; x++) { ... }
* "//" comments; but I think in the real world, all C compilers already supported those * Variable-length local arrays. This is syntactic sugar for alloca, and can be used to eliminate some temporary allocations. Just be careful not to use this with arbitrarily large arrays, or you can overflow the stack.
                size_t size = strlen(str)+1;
                char buf[size];
                memcpy(buf,str,size);

The improvements to struct initializers are great, too.

And if that's not enough for you, you can set the compiler dialect to "G99" and get a bunch of cool GCC-only extensions. You can read about those in the GCC 4 documentation buried inside the developer docs.

—Jens