<snip/>

Agree with your sentiments. Not everything needs to be shipped by default.

The only other environment where I've programmed that this same attitude may rear its head could be Java land, but even there that attitude does not seem to rear its head quite so often as it seems to on this list.

Naaaa...java did start shipping more and more stuff included over the years. It's also the huge amount of 3rd party libraries that makes is so appealing to so many people. But for some reason I still found it easier to find my way through the options available.

Actually java even provides good examples where 3rd parties are be better than inclusions. Thinking of Crimson and the logging API ...sure there is even more.

Anyway ....this is getting OT

cheers
--
Torsten