On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 2:34 PM, David Troy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I am new to Cocoa and XCode and have spent the most recent part of my 20+
> years of programming using Ruby rather extensively.
>
> Part of the kool-aid in Ruby land is test-driven and behavior driven
> development practices (TDD/BDD).
>
> To go from that approach, where you generally start writing tests and specs
> before you start writing code, to Cocoa, where I get a lot of OO goodness
> and similarities to Ruby, but also plenty of opportunities to shoot myself
> with null pointers, etc, gives me a bit of whiplash.
>
> While I am pretty comfortable with C and the kind of precautions that
> environment mandates, I wondered if anyone had any suggestions about how to
> apply any TDD/BDD methodologies to their ObjC development practice.
>
> I'm imagining that there are some best practices that would bring the ObjC
> experience closer to a TDD/BDD approach, and I can postulate how to do some
> of that, but I would rather not reinvent the wheel if there are some
> established conventions for this sort of thing.

Take a look at SenTestingKit (and particularly Chris Hanson's
excellent guide to setting it all up -
http://chanson.livejournal.com/182472.html).

I should probably warn you in advance - testing stuff in Cocoa feels
much more like hard work compared to testing in Ruby.  I keep meaning
to come up with a Cocoa version of the autotest Doom guy in order to
liven things up...