On Jun 9, 2008, at 8:34 AM, David Troy wrote:

Hi there,

I am new to Cocoa and XCode and have spent the most recent part of my 20+ years of programming using Ruby rather extensively.

Part of the kool-aid in Ruby land is test-driven and behavior driven development practices (TDD/BDD).

To go from that approach, where you generally start writing tests and specs before you start writing code, to Cocoa, where I get a lot of OO goodness and similarities to Ruby, but also plenty of opportunities to shoot myself with null pointers, etc, gives me a bit of whiplash.

While I am pretty comfortable with C and the kind of precautions that environment mandates, I wondered if anyone had any suggestions about how to apply any TDD/BDD methodologies to their ObjC development practice.

I'm imagining that there are some best practices that would bring the ObjC experience closer to a TDD/BDD approach, and I can postulate how to do some of that, but I would rather not reinvent the wheel if there are some established conventions for this sort of thing.

Any advice appreciated!

I suggest programming Cocoa using Ruby. A new version of MacRuby was announced this weekend; it's an official project by an Apple employee so you can expect it will continue to evolve on a regular basis.

Quick synopsis: MacRuby is the Ruby 1.9 language on top of the Objective-C runtime. It uses the obj-c garbage collector, uses the CoreFoundation classes underneath so NSDictionary handles the Ruby Hash, etc.

You can leverage your language skills with Ruby plus use all of its support libraries for TDD/BDD. It might take a little work to integrate them with XCode (if you choose to use that) but if you search around on some Cocoa blogs you will probably find some help.

Check it out: http://ruby.macosforge.org/trac/wiki/MacRuby

Good luck.

cr