> On Jul 6, 2015, at 4:09 PM, Quincey Morris wrote:
>
> Incidentally — this is the part where we make you sorry you asked the
> question — what are you trying to achieve here? Auto-self-selecting text
> fields are an incredibly annoying UI, if the user is ever likely to want to
> select only part of the field.

The text field contains a numeric values like 58.35 or -2.41 or something
similar. The gold standard for this type of application and this type of data
is to have the contents of the text field selected when the user clicks on it
so he or she can quickly key in a new value to replace the existing value.
Behavior other than this is a pain and not appreciated by typical users of this
application.

Finder does something similar when renaming files and folders. The first click
selects the file or folder. The next click selects the name of the file or
folder ready for replacement. The third click will place the insertion point
somewhere within the text field ready for fine grain editing of the file or
folder name.

--Richard Charles