On Jul 6, 2015, at 16:16 , Richard Charles <rcharles...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Finder does something similar when renaming files and folders. The first
> click selects the file or folder. The next click selects the name of the file
> or folder ready for replacement. The third click will place the insertion
> point somewhere within the text field ready for fine grain editing of the
> file or folder name.

In general, if the text field doesn’t look editable until you “click to edit”
(click #2 in the above, because I assume you don’t have click #1 at all in your
app), then I think it’s fine for it to do a select all (or select
something-predefined-like-Finder-does), because there’s no expectation from the
appearance of the text that you might start with a drag-to-select-and-begin
editing.

In your case, where the “click to edit” behavior is already expected by users,
I don’t see a big problem in what you’re proposing, though I think the *classy*
solution would be to have a subtle difference in appearance in the text field
when a click is needed to start editing, even if it flies under the perceptual
radar of experienced users.