On Sep 4, 2015, at 7:53 AM, Richard Kennaway <rich...@kennaway.org.uk> wrote:

> It appears that __CFRUNLOOP_IS_CALLING_OUT_TO_AN_OBSERVER_CALLBACK_FUNCTION__
> does not relate to my updateTime() being invoked by the NSTimer, because
> elsewhere under __CFRunLoopRun I see
> __CFRUNLOOP_IS_CALLING_OUT_TO_A_TIMER_CALLBACK_FUNCTION__. Below that, the
> tree reports:

I would not be surprised if that callback to an observer is something triggered
by your updates--some part of the window event/update/redraw handling deep in
the framework. I don't have any advice to offer as to how to get from that
suspicion to a solution, sorry. But varying the frequency of your updates, and
checking to see if that drives the rate of leakage through the observer
callback, will at least establish if it's truly independent or correlated.

If it is correlated, then the prior suggestion of stripping down your update
code bit by bit is a good one. I'd make one change though, first I'd remove
*all* the code in the NSTimer callback. Find out if simply having a timer fire
is enough, or if you have to actually do some updating--then if it doesn't leak
with no code, start adding back gradually. And of course if it does leak with
no code, you're ready to file a bug report and/or open a DTS incident.

--
Scott Ribe
scott_r...@elevated-dev.com