> On 4 Sep 2015, at 16:55, Scott Ribe <scott_r...@elevated-dev.com> wrote:
> I would not be surprised if that callback to an observer is something
> triggered by your updates--some part of the window event/update/redraw
> handling deep in the framework. I don't have any advice to offer as to how to
> get from that suspicion to a solution, sorry. But varying the frequency of
> your updates, and checking to see if that drives the rate of leakage through
> the observer callback, will at least establish if it's truly independent or
> correlated.
>
> If it is correlated, then the prior suggestion of stripping down your update
> code bit by bit is a good one. I'd make one change though, first I'd remove
> *all* the code in the NSTimer callback. Find out if simply having a timer
> fire is enough, or if you have to actually do some updating--then if it
> doesn't leak with no code, start adding back gradually. And of course if it
> does leak with no code, you're ready to file a bug report and/or open a DTS
> incident.

With no code, or even with all the code except for updating the UILabels, there
is no leak.  With any UILabel updates, there is a leak whose rate is
independent of the number of UILabels being updated.  The rate goes up with the
timer frequency, but not proportionally.

In the message I found on the gamedev.net forum from March 2014, and I linked
in another reply here, the leak was triggered by updating a slider, and the
writer there says that further experimenting gave this leak when updating any
sort of GUI element.  I've joined that forum and sent him a message, but he may
no longer be active there.

-- Richard Kennaway