Hi,
  I've set the cellClass in the +load() method (on the textfield subclass)
using setCellClass under mavericks. If memory serves me right, it set the
cell in yosemite as well. I was however, creating my cells in code as well.
If you are coding in objective-c, then you might be able to set it there
(it doesn't seem to be available in Swift).

Regards
George