> On Nov 13, 2015, at 5:09 AM, Daniel Phillips <djp_phill...@me.com> wrote:
>
> I work at Trainline on their iOS app. We had some customer feedback recently
> and unfortunately someone booked a ticket for the wrong date because we
> botched our voiceover support!
> Safe to say our app as it stands is using accessibility solely for UI Testing
> purposes and any voiceover functionality is purely coincidence.
>
> I've been adding voiceover support and my question is, to what level do you
> suggest I go with it. By which I mean, we have a lot of data on screen,
> departure times, departure station name, a label showing the duration of
> travel in an abbreviated format etc etc.
>
> These labels could all be on say a single table view cell.
>
> I just added support for the following: "2h 25m, direct" to read out "2 hours
> and 25 minutes. Direct train."
>
> And then I began work on the departure/arrival time. Then it hit me, I don't
> really know what I'm going for. It currently reads out something like "10:20.
> London. 14:36. Manchester", but having added a nicer support in the previous
> duration example, I'm tempted to have voiceover read something like
> "Departing 10:20 from London. Arriving 14:36 at Manchester"
>
> Of course there's no limit on what you could do with this, but I wanted your
> thoughts on how far is too far. I want to make sure they get all the info,
> but is being too chatty a bad thing?
>
> Would love your feedback.
>
> Daniel

Voiceover is your user interface to those who have difficulties viewing the
information.  If you have a rich visual interface, your auditory interface
should be equivalent.

Not everyone has eyes to see, some have to depend upon their ears.  Get your
user interface people involved as well -- they need to realize that snazzy
interface means zero to someone who can't see it.  Bring blindfolds if
necessary.

--
Glenn L. Austin, Computer Wizard and Race Car Driver         <><
<http://www.austinsoft.com>